Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Birth Story 2 Months Late

After several inquiries, I realized I did not post the birth story of our sweet little Brielle.  It started on December the 3rd.  After spending Friday in the hospital for decreased fetal movement due to dehydration, the doctor checked me and said I was only 1 cm and might not go into labor before my due date on the 8th.  After putting myself on extreme rest for the last 3 weeks to prevent labor, I resolved to resume my normal activities.  So on the 3rd I walked 5 miles with Stuart to my great discomfort.  We talked a lot about how it would be neat if the baby came on his birthday.  Nothing seemed to be amiss that night so we thought that labor would not come till at least Monday.  The next morning a show in the bathroom made me wonder how soon labor would come since some women show a week before.  Stuart and I got ready for church because I wanted to see my friends twins get blessed at church.  I got my first cramp around 10 am.  I thought it was just discomfort from walking so much the day before.  After the next 3 about 10 to 15 minutes apart I thought maybe this is the start?  When we got to church at 11 am the cramps were 10 minutes apart.  I decided that we should probably go home right after sacrament.  Then after watching the babies be blessed and making a quick trip to the bathroom after the sacrament was passed I was experiencing real pain in these cramps I decided were definately contractions.  I ripped Stuart out of the pew and said we have to go NOW!  I was not waiting until 12:10 to leave.  We called the doctor and described the contractions which were now 8-10 minutes apart and were instructed to come straight to labor and delivery.  We live 10 minutes from church so we went home, got into comfortable clothes, got the hospital bag and laptop, and we were off!  I had Stuart stop at McDonalds on the way and get me a Happy Meal so that I could eat before the hospital could starve me and to celebrate the happy event.  At that point it was 12:10 and my contractions were 5-7 mintues apart.  The Women's Hospital of Texas is 35 minutes from home and I was starting to get a little nervous.  Halfway to the hospital I got hit with back labor and held on to the car handle for dear life!  I would not wish back labor on anyone!  Even worse, the last street that the hospital is on is in need of serious repair due to damage from the drought.  There are hard bumps the whole way down to the hospital.  Stuart pulled up to valet and contractions were 3 minutes apart.  Then we went up to the Labor and Delivery floor to get checked in.  At this point I could not stand through contractions.  I got checked in at 1 pm and was dilated to a 5.  I got my epidural and relief was sweet.  I was able to move my left side most of the time but my right side was dead.  By 8 pm I was complete and ready to roll.  We started pushing at 9 and would have had the baby sooner but her head was stuck.  After a small cut and 3 more pushes Brielle came at 10:16 pm to be Stuart's best birthday present ever!  Our little girl arrived at 20 inches 9lbs and 1 oz.  I've never seen anyone more beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment